Skip to content

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

• Tell us which features you want to see in RailModeller Pro so we can continue to provide you with the best possible design tool.

• Make your voice heard and vote on the features you want to see next

For any requests regarding parts and track libraries, kindly send an email directly to support@railmodeller.com

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

108 results found

1. Omit variations of gap fillers

One of the most valuable features of RailModeler (in my opinion) is the gap filler. However, when it finds a solution, all the permutations of the tracks are also listed. I am only interested in seeing a single, unique line for each solution, since I can easily permute the tracks manually, should I have the desire.

The implementation requires only a few lines of code. (For each preliminary solution, form a set of the tracks. Keep only solutions, whose track sets are different. Sort the tracks according to their respective length.)

If others like the feature as it is now,…

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Library of footprint and icon images for standard Lionel Accessories

It would be nice if you could select from a library images and footprints for items like Lionel #30 Water Tower, #456 Coal Ramp, or ramp for the #3472 Milk Car so we could design track plans that fit these accessories.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In general we don’t include most of the accessories just due to the sheer amount of items available by the multitude of vendors out there..

A dedicated editor for user-created track libraries is currently in the works that’ll enable creating custom tracks and other objects.

3. ability to create inventory of building

In North America kits by Walthers and Woodland Scenics are used to name two manufacturers. I can create shapes that represent the dimensions but I can't save them with a name and have them show up in the parts list. I would like to see this feature. Other Windows apps have this feature,

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Function to import WinTrack track plans.

I wish I could import track plans created with WinTrack.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Reset "0" Points of layout by clicking in ruler.

In many drawing and layout programs it is possible to select the zero point by clicking in the ruler. For instance, you could set the zero point anywhere in the layout having positive and negative numbers indicating how far from the zero set point you are.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Object List functionality to documents

This could either be a second tab alternative to the libraryor a third tab on the right side (Element, Document), or, more ideally, could take the place of the Layers pane of the Element Inspector.

The object list should present a hierarchical view where the Document is the root of the tree. All objects in the current layout would be somewhere on branches from that root (e.g. Layer->Group[->Group[->group]]->Object,Object,Object).

Each element in the hierarchy which has children should have the traditional expand/collapse rotating triangle widget.

Selecting an object, range, or group in this area should be identical to selecting it in…

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Auto Create from a Scan Drawing

Convert a scanned pen or pencil image, perhaps a PDF, into a rough first pass layout - select the area to convert, set scale, default turnout #(s), fill with flex or approximate with sections. Speeds my workflow from pencil draft to editable RailModeller Pro file.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hierarchical layers

The possibility to group layers adds a great bit of flexibility and can help to maintain a clean structure. For instance, when working on a design that encloses two rooms, it would be nice to have those rooms modeled as parent layers with all the different structures as child layers. This functionality can be seen in almost any CG software, e.g. Photoshop.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  11. Custom location for storing the price list

When I enter prices for a layout they are shared across all layouts on that Mac and the manual mentions a price database.

I would like to be able to enter prices once and have them available on my Mac Book and my iMac without reentering them!

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. Draggable help lines (Guides)

Add help lines that can be pulled out of the rulers. The help lines may be sticky. Very common in CAD programs.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  13. A Combined Favourites List

A Favourites list that can contain track items from different manufacturers.

Could be added to by right mouse click.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Save document setup defaults

There are a number of Document attributes under the Document tab in the inspector panel which get reset every time you create a new file.

It would be nice to have a preferences pane where one could set the default parameters for new layouts rather than having to go back and tweak them each time from the software hard-wired default.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  15. Selectable unit of measurement for the Ruler tool

I would like to be able to right-click the Ruler tool and change units without having to go into the main preferences and change the units for the entire program.

Example: My benchwork and grid are in inches, but I work with Kato unitrack which is all in millimeters. Sometimes it is desirable to quickly measure a gap between tracks in millimeters, and changing the unit for the entire program just to make one measurement is cumbersome, as well as wreaking havoc with the grid.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When moving or placing any item on the base board display the distance from the closest baseboard edge.

Now we have to switch in and out if the ruler tool. Hard to count grid lines in 1/2" steps or less steps. Just take the ruler measurement from the left side and top and have it follow the item.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Templates for benchwork

Include libraries for benchwork modules such as those from Sievers.

https://www.sieversbenchwork.com

and/or ability to create own library from 'shapes'.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

At this point it’s to specialized to add these items for all users of the app, however the upcoming Library Editor is specifically targeting the creation of any custom libraries you’d like to use for your personal planning!

18. Flat Design Capability for Layout with Multiple Decks

I added the following description to another 2018 request that's similar; I think this approach could solve multiple requests/issues.

I've been think of something similar while designing a three deck layout with multiple helixes in between. As opposed to each of the three layers "stacked" which causes issues as the current version only allows for 1 0-level Baseboard and I need 3 different shapes. What about setting "anchors" at the ends of transition tracks, that could only be modified with very deliberate unlock and warning. These anchors would connect the ends of two tracks, each on different decks/layers that are…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. Track radius and baseboard

Cannot begin without a table and room. Cannot continue without knowing the radius for curves.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. A simple way of positioning tracks separated by a straight

I'm often trying to position a couple of points/turnouts, so that one junction will line up exactly with the other. In other words, when you insert flex track between those junctions, the track will be straight.

You could generalise this to arbitrary tracks, not just points/turnouts.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base