Skip to content

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

• Tell us which features you want to see in RailModeller Pro so we can continue to provide you with the best possible design tool.

• Make your voice heard and vote on the features you want to see next

For any requests regarding parts and track libraries, kindly send an email directly to support@railmodeller.com

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

108 results found

1. Parallel helix generation

I have two double stacked helices in my plan, I want them to be double track with #7 turnouts at each end. I have experimented repeatedly and cannot make this work with the existing helix tool. Most often the tracks just break apart or get out of alignment as I adjust the heights. When I connect the parallel helix to existing track of a non-zero height the height adjustments automatically level each helix. I've spent hours on this issue and I can't imagine I'm the only one crazy enough to have helices like this. It is doubly confounding when I…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Ballast approximate volume/weight ("semi-wild guess"...) for covering a determined area would be a good feature.

Approximate needs of ballast (volume) the layout, considering as parameters things like: linear length of track to be ballasted, scale, depth of ballast etc.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Afraid it would be hard to come up with a formula that yields a realistic result across all model scales. We suggest to use the overall track length (Sidebar > Document > Layout Info) and multiply this value for your layout with a factor that works for your layout.

3. Track radius and baseboard

Cannot begin without a table and room. Cannot continue without knowing the radius for curves.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. One view in the parts list, which shows you both the ammount of tracks in your stock AND those which still needed

The separate views in the parts list is good. But you need to select the parts you have planned on your layout vs. the tracks that are missing and need to be purchased. It would be great to have also a view which shows in addition in the same view, what is already in your stock. E.g. something like "planned in layout", "in your stock", "need to be ordered". At the moment I need to do this separately in an excel sheet.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Parts list and inventory dialogs should remain on screen even when application does not have focus

I'd like the parts list and inventory dialogs to remain on screen even when another application has the focus - so that I can compare its contents to what I am ordering in my browser or other application.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Edit fastrack menu by radius of curves and switches and length of straights

The current arrangement by date of issue makes no sense.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback!
    You’d be looking for the sorting options in the Library Catalog -
    When clicking the gears icon and choosing ‘Sort by Type’ this exact sorting will be used.

7. Add track near edge of board automatically selects valid orientation

Bug when placing track near board edge. Express 6.2.6 1177, LGB track library

Steps to reproduce:

• lay track section near edge of layout (e.g. turnout pointing up near top edge)

• select track section that will fit in some orientations but not others (e.g. curved section)

Expected behaviour:

• default orientation will fit if possible, hitting space to cycle orientations won't select illegal placements

Actual behaviour:

• default orientation sometimes will not fit. Cannot place track section to 'space' through to working orientation

Alternative expected behaviour:

• allow illegal placement but indicate this by colour or some such. Don't allow additional tracks to be…
    1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. startup window size not always full screen

On startup / new file / open file, the window always seems to expand to the borders of the screen area. Most apps open to cover only a portion of the screen, and their documents remember their window location & size on close and re-open.

Suggestions:

• opening an existing document restores the previous window size & location

• option for new documents to occupy less than the entire visible area

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Import height map for terrain

Bonus points for being able to generate/edit these in app.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A simple way of positioning tracks separated by a straight

I'm often trying to position a couple of points/turnouts, so that one junction will line up exactly with the other. In other words, when you insert flex track between those junctions, the track will be straight.

You could generalise this to arbitrary tracks, not just points/turnouts.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow positioning of elements at negative X/Y/Z coordinates

I like the ability to position an element at a specific X/Y/Z coordinate in my room. But, if I accidentally position something too close to the zero X/Y position, the ENTIRE layout will shift, to allow room for that new element - which is obviously not ideal behavior.

It looks like the "Z" position of track will happily go below the "Floor" of the room - which is fine, once we can establish elevation to Shapes I will WANT some areas below the floor (e.g. stairs coming up into the room). But you can't establish a negative X or Y…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. overlay background picture to allow for modelling track layouts from old plans/maps

To be able to use the old track plan diagrams for production of realistic track layout from historical periods. i have the track plan diagram for Evesham from 1922 a joint station between GWR and MR in the UK before Big 4 grouping

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  13. Label the tools

Have the names of the tools (& tool icon size) be an option in the tool bar... you know... Just like MOST Mac OS Apps...

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Highlight needed track parts in layout

Would like to be able to show in different colors on the layout the track that is already in your inventory and the track that is needed to complete the layout.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Templates for benchwork

Include libraries for benchwork modules such as those from Sievers.

https://www.sieversbenchwork.com

and/or ability to create own library from 'shapes'.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

At this point it’s to specialized to add these items for all users of the app, however the upcoming Library Editor is specifically targeting the creation of any custom libraries you’d like to use for your personal planning!

16. show scale units

I would like an option to show all distances in scale units, not real units. For example, if using HO scale parts, show 87 feet for each real foot. This would be helpful to judge how many cars will fit on a siding or how large a building is on the model. Thank you.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. Spline Points in Polygon

I have to add a lot of points to design a polygon for mountains and rivers. A spline point would make it better and faster.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  18. Joining with flex and flex generally only seems to have one control point;

Joining with flex and flex generally only seems to have one control point;
    Can you revert to the V4 functionality where there are by defailt 2x control points on the curve, and potentially let me add in any number.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. A printable parts list.

One can download the parts list as a .csv list, but can't just print the list. The .csv file doesn't have any column labels nor totals. Is it possible to use the Mac print function to print the Parts List?

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

This is already possible with just one additional step:

In order to print a shopping list you can export the Part List to the Clipboard or a text file and print it in e.g. Pages or Text Edit (or Numbers).

The latter apps offer many options to customize how the part list is printed and at this point we think this offers superior functionality so we’d rather not duplicate the same functionality in our apps.

20. Rolling Stock Inventory

macOS lacks a true model railroad rolling stock inventory program, and RailModeller would be a perfect fit, as it could piggyback off of the existing Track Stock database already built into the program. The existing database already keeps track of:
    Name
    Part Number
    Manufacturer
    Price

Rolling stock would just need some additional values to keep track of:
    -Photo
    -Stock type (Steam locomotive/Electric locomotive/diesel locomotive/Hi-Railer/passenger car/freight car/caboose/custom value)
    -Length
    -Height
    -Minimum radius curve support
    -Operating options (conventional/DCC/DCS/TMCC/Legacy/custom)
    -Year manufacturered
    -Year acquired
    -MSRP
    -Price paid
    -Custom notes
    -Custom weblink (ie more info, link to manufacturer site, etc)

It would be up to…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base