Skip to content

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

• Tell us which features you want to see in RailModeller Pro so we can continue to provide you with the best possible design tool.

• Make your voice heard and vote on the features you want to see next

For any requests regarding parts and track libraries, kindly send an email directly to support@railmodeller.com

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

195 results found

1. Easy drawing of dimensions

I'd like to be able to draw dimensions on the layout. This would be really helpful for track building.

At present I have to use the ruler to measure and then draw manually the dimension, it is a real pain.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Show disconnected tracks

When creating a grade the system refuses to do it if the tracks are disconnected. In V4 there was a way to show disconnected tracks which has been lost. I spent hours to see which track was disconnected.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Dimension Shape

The Dimension shape could really use some tweaking. First and foremost, the user should be able to have the dimension indicate the exact length by having a field to type the numbers into rather than trying to manually size it with the mouse while it's being created or edited. Second, the thickness of the line needs to be editable. For these first two, the start and end coordinates and the line width that can be typed in for the line shape would be acceptable for the dimension shape. Third, the type of arrowhead should be editable to include a sizable…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Now available in 6.4.19:

Upgraded Dimension Inspector: Improved flexibility and  customization options with expanded control over arrow scale and line  width, along with the ability to input precise lengths for accurate  measurements.

4. Benchwork layers.

Currently polygons can be used to get general idea of where track will go, but polygons cannot be set a different heights. Multilevel planning of the benchwork could help visualize what something will do to a room, etc. So would like to have physical layers to model multilevel construction.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select all adjacent tracks of the same colour

Being able to select all the adjacent tracks of the same colour, rather than all the tracks of that colour on the whole plan or layer, would make it easier to correct the colour of subsections of the layout without having to disconnect that section, colour it, then reconnect it.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Exclusion filter for "close gap with tracks"

I would prefer an exclusion filter for the close gap feature. For example I for excluding special tracks like TRIX 14999 or TRIX 14976.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. On/Off preference option to assign a new permanent specific color to each layer as created.

As a new layer is created, the track color as assigned for that layer is selected from the preference assignment. After created, each time that layer is active, all new track for that layer is auto assigned the assigned color. It be able to be over-ridden by manual assignment. This would also give you a clue if you forget to change layers, and start adding track to another layer inadvertently.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. selecting a track selects layer

When I'm working with RailModeller I find myself working in the wrong layer a lot because I forgot to select the track in the LayersListView on there right. It would be nice to automatically select the layer if you click on a track, so if you want to enhance that track it automatically adds the new track to the right layer.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Clean Up Layout" convert all "free form" flex tracks to "pure" straight or curved forms (if within tolerance).

After using a lot of flex track I find that most (if not all) of them are near to being perfect curves or straights. It would be nice if these could be auto-converted to their perfect equivalents.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add the bow element to the Shape menu

A modeler may need an arc for several reasons. For example:

• I could draw a wall of my room that is not straight but it's curved.
    • I might have to draw a curved backdrop.
    • I could draw a rounded part of the base of my layout
    • And much more...

Well, the bow element would be handled like all the other elements of the Shape menu.

The arc element has only one particular feature: it manages the thickness of the line using the most useful measurement unit. This feature is useful for the different combinations that can be made. For example:…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  11. 14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Automatic height ordering

You can put selected items (stepwise) in the foreground or background. After a while the ordering might be messed up and it would be nice to bring back the selected items automatically into z-order (especially when working with loops).

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Assign height to a layer, making it easier to make leveled layouts.

When you've different levels in your layout, for example a shadow station at the bottom, followed by the standard layout, and on top of that some smaller local stations, you want to assign a standard height to each of the 3 layers, say 0, 12 and 20, or -12, 0 and 8. This will make it then also easier to make connections between the different layers with different heights, and doing the layout per layer is faster than assigning heights to individual or grouped parts.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. smart insert remember last used values…

When using flex track for example I find myself having to select the same track code, curve radius & angles repeatedly again & again. It would be great if the smart insert views would remember the last values used.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  16. default to using 12 unit grid when using imperial units.

Every time I start a new layout (I'm using inches) I need to adjust the grid settings to 12 unit grid… the default gives 10 unit grid (which is awesome for metric, but certainly a pain for people using inches and feet)

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. the ability to right click on objects and see the items in the Elements menu show up.

It would be great to right click an object and see the Elements menu, rotate, arrange, group, etc. appear,

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A hot key that inserts a track at the end of the last track that was inserted ("continue track")

This would allow one to create a curve by extending the track like now, then hitting this new hot key 4 times, instead of having to carefully hit the end of each track 4 times. This would be similar to how space bar swaps the direction of the curve easily.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. enhanced printing option

Selectable layers to be printed.
    Disable background (Color & Grid).
    Do not printing empty pages.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Admin →
  20. Draw track centre lines

Currently, its tricky to easily determine the track enters when doing parallel tracks. Drawing the centre lines like the old version did would make this simpler. Bonus points if the ruler will do a vertical / horizontal snap between these centre points...

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base