RailModeller Feature Requests

• Let us know what features you would like to see in the future
  • Cast your vote to help us prioritize new features

Please send ALL requests for parts and track libraries directly to support@railmodeller.com!

Thanks for your input!

I would like to see ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Automatic establishment of minimum required height when one track over another.

During design process tracks can be placed over another. Software immediately establish a minimal distance between tracks and asks for slope definition which is allredy defined as function in the RailModeller.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The ability to highlight multiple sections of track and create a parallel section of track

So if you have a highlighted curved section, section with points included or "S" section of multiple track elements. I would be handy to have the ability to create a parallel of it with the options of setting distance apart, exceed minimum and recommended radius warning, follow inside or outside curve of track so as to create parallel track to points radius.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The possibility to flip the layout

After spending hours on perfecting a layout it would be great to be able to flip the layout horizontal or vertical. Basically left turnouts becomes right turnouts etc-

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re planning to make this functionality available once our new library editor with the ability to mark up counter-parts of elements (left <→ right switch) has been completed!

4. A way to force the track into ideal geometry [Precise Alignment, Zero Tolerance]

Currently, there's a small error tolerance at each connection. When you move track around, the exact geometry is kept. This means that slowly, over time, the errors can add up. The only way to get rid of all the errors is to manually reconnect each individual track piece. It would be nice if there could be a way to just force all the tracks into their canonical alignment, with zero error. (If there's loops, this might force certain parts of the layout to disconnect. That's ok. It's the whole point. Finding what the actual error is.)

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3D Cuts with metrics of my 3 dimensional plan

To realize a plan with multiple levels it will be very helpful to show and print cuts of my 3D plan to realize the wooden infrastructure for the rails

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better 3D view with the ability to see rolling stock and basic building shapes instead of flat images

The available 3D view is not really much help when trying to imagine building placement or the appearance of a populated railway.
    All I am asking for is that the presently flat shapes of buildings (i.e. self drawn rectangles) and rolling stock gain some height in the 3D view.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a minimum radius highlight feature

A minimum radius is set in the project properties and whenever a track radius is chosen or flex track is bend below this radius the location is highlighted on the worksheet

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ability to create modules and being able to plan modular railroad arrangements.

We have a lot already and need mainly a new supporting feature: Transfer (small) layouts to Railseteditor to create modules

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adjust track heights in a dedicated 3D view (showing selected tracks only) with drag'n'drop.

I'm thinking about a view similar to the "Display > Show Hight Profile" menu, which only shows the incline being associated to a track being selected. The view should be turnable (to see all turns). You should be able to move a track hight by drag and drop, and the tracks being connected should level themselves.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add curved flex-track to library to use the repeat function.

I use flex-track to specify curves that ain't available in the (Peco) library. An example is Curve Radius 30 cm and Arc Angle 45 degrees. If i design a 180 degrees curve i need to specify this curve 4 times or use copy paint all the time. I would like to see the possibility to add this curve to the library so the repeat function become available for this curved flex-track.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Use Layers for Alternatives (Detach Layers)

I'm in the process of updating a layout to the new version of the software. In that process, I've decided to design two different alternatives for some optional add-ons to the layout. However, those alternatives are mutually exclusive and require replacing a couple of track segments in order to provide the correct interface to the main layout.

It would be nice if I could hide the layer for Option 1 and then connect tracks to the now (apparently) disconnected tracks on other layers in the Option 2 layer.

Essentially, it would be nice if there was a way to tell…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Object List functionality to documents

This could either be a second tab alternative to the libraryor a third tab on the right side (Element, Document), or, more ideally, could take the place of the Layers pane of the Element Inspector.

The object list should present a hierarchical view where the Document is the root of the tree. All objects in the current layout would be somewhere on branches from that root (e.g. Layer->Group[->Group[->group]]->Object,Object,Object).

Each element in the hierarchy which has children should have the traditional expand/collapse rotating triangle widget.

Selecting an object, range, or group in this area should be identical to selecting it in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Save document setup defaults

There are a number of Document attributes under the Document tab in the inspector panel which get reset every time you create a new file.

It would be nice to have a preferences pane where one could set the default parameters for new layouts rather than having to go back and tweak them each time from the software hard-wired default.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export as DCC++ Main Layout and Track Definitions.

While the Hardware side of DCC++ gets a lot of attention, The software side (Controller) of DCC++ is mostly ignored because of its perceived difficulty. In actuality, the graphical nature of Processing 3 MIGHT make an export feasible. A lot of the work might be done already via the Original Authors Track and Turnout classes. Just food for thought.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tabbing between entry fields and layout area

When I edit measurements or position values for a feature or a layout, and press Enter, the marker stays in the value field. If I then want to move the object via the arrow keys, I first have to take the mouse and click on the object before it can be moved. I would prefer that the marker should leave the value fields, so the object can be worked on directly as I press Enter.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. The zooming feature should center on the location of the cursor to eliminate the need for scrolling after being zoomed in.

When holding down the Option key to zoom with the mouse, the zooming feature should center on the location of the mouse cursor to eliminate the need for scrolling after being zoomed in. That way the user can control exactly what part of the lay out should be enlarged.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Create a curve with multiple flex track elements

To better understand the utility of the function you can look at the sample image:
    www.carlofilippofollis.name/files/2017/07/railmodeller-idea-n-005-create-a-curve-with-multiple-flex.jpg

With a flexible rail of 914 mm. I want to create a curve of 120 cm. of ray and 150°, but I will have a message that makes me realize that it is impossible. The operation is impossible because the flexible track is too short.

RailModeller Pro should therefore use all the flexible tracks useful to create a 120 cm curve. of radius and of 150°. This implementation is very useful for large layouts and very wide radius curves.

The usefulness of this…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Text fields convert between units

It would be nice if text fields like position x/y/z, track length, canvas w/h, could automatically convert between units.

For example I prefer to work in cm, but sometimes I need to size something in inches. So it would be nice to write '16 "' or something and have that converted to cm, instead of reaching for the calculator.

OmniGraffle does this also, and it is pretty useful.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Favorites in Libraries

I am building a layout with Atlas Track but know I want to focus on certian parts and NOT use others. I would love to be able to mark my "favorites" and see them in the list. Would make it much easier to find what I am looking for and protect me from use a snap switch for instance when that isn't my preferred product.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ability to skip blank pages when printing.

When printing full size, it would be nice if blank pages (pages defined maybe as no track in them and no shapes could be skipped. Currently you have to export to PDF and then delete the blank pages before printing.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base