RailModeller Feature Requests

• Let us know what features you would like to see in the future
  • Cast your vote to help us prioritize new features

Please send ALL requests for parts and track libraries directly to support@railmodeller.com!

Thanks for your input!

1. Rolling Stock Inventory

macOS lacks a true model railroad rolling stock inventory program, and RailModeller would be a perfect fit, as it could piggyback off of the existing Track Stock database already built into the program. The existing database already keeps track of:
    Name
    Part Number
    Manufacturer
    Price

Rolling stock would just need some additional values to keep track of:
    -Photo
    -Stock type (Steam locomotive/Electric locomotive/diesel locomotive/Hi-Railer/passenger car/freight car/caboose/custom value)
    -Length
    -Height
    -Minimum radius curve support
    -Operating options (conventional/DCC/DCS/TMCC/Legacy/custom)
    -Year manufacturered
    -Year acquired
    -MSRP
    -Price paid
    -Custom notes
    -Custom weblink (ie more info, link to manufacturer site, etc)

It would be up to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Some of The Tillig Elite new range of dual gauge, standard / Narrow gauge in the HO library. Thanks for considering it.

Whilst you can create dual gauge track by overplaying track segments from different libraries, it is a bit of a pain, especially when moving bits around. Not exactly an essential but as dual gauge track& turnouts are available it would be nice to have a few basic items in a library.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback!

Multi-gauge tracks are an exotic and rare variety of track offered by only 1-2 vendors on the market.

Due to the great changes required to the app to support these exotic tracks we don’t plan to support them in the foreseeable future.

3. A simple way of positioning tracks separated by a straight

I'm often trying to position a couple of points/turnouts, so that one junction will line up exactly with the other. In other words, when you insert flex track between those junctions, the track will be straight.

You could generalise this to arbitrary tracks, not just points/turnouts.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Folder for Grouping Layers

The ability to create folder so you can easily organize or hide multiple layers with one click.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ability to create inventory of building

In North America kits by Walthers and Woodland Scenics are used to name two manufacturers. I can create shapes that represent the dimensions but I can't save them with a name and have them show up in the parts list. I would like to see this feature. Other Windows apps have this feature,

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Templates for benchwork

Include libraries for benchwork modules such as those from Sievers.

https://www.sieversbenchwork.com

and/or ability to create own library from 'shapes'.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

At this point it’s to specialized to add these items for all users of the app, however the upcoming Library Editor is specifically targeting the creation of any custom libraries you’d like to use for your personal planning!

7. Save document setup defaults

There are a number of Document attributes under the Document tab in the inspector panel which get reset every time you create a new file.

It would be nice to have a preferences pane where one could set the default parameters for new layouts rather than having to go back and tweak them each time from the software hard-wired default.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export as DCC++ Main Layout and Track Definitions.

While the Hardware side of DCC++ gets a lot of attention, The software side (Controller) of DCC++ is mostly ignored because of its perceived difficulty. In actuality, the graphical nature of Processing 3 MIGHT make an export feasible. A lot of the work might be done already via the Original Authors Track and Turnout classes. Just food for thought.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create a curve with multiple flex track elements

To better understand the utility of the function you can look at the sample image:
    www.carlofilippofollis.name/files/2017/07/railmodeller-idea-n-005-create-a-curve-with-multiple-flex.jpg

With a flexible rail of 914 mm. I want to create a curve of 120 cm. of ray and 150°, but I will have a message that makes me realize that it is impossible. The operation is impossible because the flexible track is too short.

RailModeller Pro should therefore use all the flexible tracks useful to create a 120 cm curve. of radius and of 150°. This implementation is very useful for large layouts and very wide radius curves.

The usefulness of this…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. One view in the parts list, which shows you both the ammount of tracks in your stock AND those which still needed

The separate views in the parts list is good. But you need to select the parts you have planned on your layout vs. the tracks that are missing and need to be purchased. It would be great to have also a view which shows in addition in the same view, what is already in your stock. E.g. something like "planned in layout", "in your stock", "need to be ordered". At the moment I need to do this separately in an excel sheet.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ability to adjust height over switches and crossings

Current switches and crossings are not allowed to have a gradient. In real life they have, this is especially necessary to run railroad cars over the hump

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The ability to move tracks along their central axis rather than along the global axes

Right now you can use the arrow keys to move a track piece along the X or Y axes precisely. It'd be fantastic to be able to move a track piece that is at a θ° angle as if an axis went right through the center of the track, parallel to the direction of the track. That would allow one to move the bumpers at the ends of a ladder, but still keep the bumpers aligned with the switches so that one could use the "connect with sectional track" feature.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I would like to see more buildings from all makers i.e. Hornby, Peco, etc all scales.

building and / or kits as shown in catalogues by all makers.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback -
    due to the sheer amount of accessories available out there in all model scales this is currently not feasible. However, we will soon make the Library Editor available to all users empowering users to create their own libraries of accessories.

We are also constantly expanding the TruScale accessory libraries with buildings and other accessories available in all model scales!

14. Better overview of planned requests

There are some requests on this site that are planned more than 4 years ago. I know that good testing of new features is necessary but if a planned option after 4 year still isn't available i ask myself if it ever will be.
    Ik think a better overview of the needed time to implement an option would be necessary.

Don't get me wrong, i love the application and the frequent bug updates.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 additional H0 biblios: Weinert Mein Gleis & Hobby-Ecke Schumacher

I am missing Weinert Mein Gleis and Hobby-Ecke Schumacher in the bibliotheques for H0 tracks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve contacted Weinert in the past and they were not interested in providing the specs to their turnouts so there’s nothing we can do without any data..

Kits (Hobby-Ecke) are not currently supported.

16. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve image import to correct scale after import

After importing image one should be able to select two points on photo and say what distance (real life) between points. This should then convert to correct scale and size the image to right size.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A Layout level Track Library

I am working on a layout that uses both Tomix Tram pieces and standard Fine Trax pieces.

What I would like is to be able merge those bits from track sets that I want into a quick reference set.

So, I would have:

Create a Worksheet palette. In that I can select track sets.

Afterwards I can pieces from the selected tracksets or any other, to the item list.

It saves me swapping from one track set to another and for a bigger layout can save quite a bit of time! This isn't the first time I've wanted this!

Thanks,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Highlight needed track parts in layout

Would like to be able to show in different colors on the layout the track that is already in your inventory and the track that is needed to complete the layout.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. A printable parts list.

One can download the parts list as a .csv list, but can't just print the list. The .csv file doesn't have any column labels nor totals. Is it possible to use the Mac print function to print the Parts List?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is already possible with just one additional step:

In order to print a shopping list you can export the Part List to the Clipboard or a text file and print it in e.g. Pages or Text Edit (or Numbers).

The latter apps offer many options to customize how the part list is printed and at this point we think this offers superior functionality so we’d rather not duplicate the same functionality in our apps.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Feature Requests

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base