RailModeller Feature Requests

• Let us know what features you would like to see in the future
  • Cast your vote to help us prioritize new features

Please send ALL requests for parts and track libraries directly to support@railmodeller.com!

Thanks for your input!

1. Companion app for iPad

I know there's an existing thread for a fully functional iPad version, but in lieu of that, I was wondering if there's any possibility of a sort of paired down companion app for iPad. A nice little viewer application that allows you to zoom in and out and show/hide layers would be really handy when out in the garage working. I'd happily throw down $20 or so for something like that, especially if it allowed me to support creation of a fully fledged version down the road.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. An indication of wiring blocks

It would be nice to be able to identify wiring blocks, i.e. identify sections of the tracks that are connected electrically. This is very important when planning a layout. Also, the program could identify reverse loops that need special isolation.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. DCC Planning, Electric Planning (Planung Digitalsteuerung/Elektrik/Verkabelung)

Isoliertrennungen für Schienen
    Rückmelder positionieren
    Blöcke kennzeichnen und bezeichnen
    Kehrschleifen kennzeichnen

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. A way to force two tracks to connect [Lower Precision, Higher Tolerance]

Two tracks can be very close but not connected. I would like to be able to select both tracks and ask them to be connected. This should be extended to a whole selection. Sometimes selecting adjacent tracks the mouse moves slightly and a small disconnection appears somewhere. It is very difficult to find it. I would like to be able to select all tracks and say "connect"

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Better 3D view with the ability to see rolling stock and basic building shapes instead of flat images

The available 3D view is not really much help when trying to imagine building placement or the appearance of a populated railway.
    All I am asking for is that the presently flat shapes of buildings (i.e. self drawn rectangles) and rolling stock gain some height in the 3D view.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to set the maximum elevation

Currently the maximum elevation is set to 10%, hard coded in the SW. For rack rail it is no problem to have it to 35%.

Would be nice when it is possible to set the maximum elevation by the user, 10% for example is already 'a lot' for standard tracks.

Having two limits would be the way to go:
    1: The current 10% that can be set by the user, when you go over it, you get a warning, not a message that it is not possible.
    2: The upper limit, for example 35%, where you get the message that…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Close track connections with 'generic bumper' (Generische Prellböcke als Gleisabschluß)

Update (12/2018): Any open track connection should be terminated by a generic bumper if desired to clean up layouts.

Prellböcke sollten als Gleisabschluß erkannt werden und nicht mehr als offenes Gleis markiert werden wenn ausgewählt ist: Dokument - "Offene Verbindungen hervorheben".
    Ebenso sollte bei Prellböcken, welche ein Gleis beinhalten und die nicht nur auf Gleis gestellt werden, der Schienenweg mit eingezeichnet werden. Bsp: TT Tillig 83100 hat 41,5mm Gleis.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to hide obsolete elements in a library

(from our back log)

Obsolete elements can be indicated in the Library Catalog.

An option to remove these elements from the list would make it easier to pick only current tracks for track systems with a mix of out-of-production and current tracks

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. A way to force the track into ideal geometry [Precise Alignment, Zero Tolerance]

Currently, there's a small error tolerance at each connection. When you move track around, the exact geometry is kept. This means that slowly, over time, the errors can add up. The only way to get rid of all the errors is to manually reconnect each individual track piece. It would be nice if there could be a way to just force all the tracks into their canonical alignment, with zero error. (If there's loops, this might force certain parts of the layout to disconnect. That's ok. It's the whole point. Finding what the actual error is.)

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a minimum radius highlight feature

A minimum radius is set in the project properties and whenever a track radius is chosen or flex track is bend below this radius the location is highlighted on the worksheet

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Either a keyboard shortcut or a set preference to have flex track have 4 control handles

when you edit flex track it, by default, only has 3 control handles and if you want to make an S shape you have to click the gear and then the "Use 4 control points" button. If it could either be set to always have either 3 or 4 depending on preference or a keyboard shortcut such as
    "⌘3" for 3 points and "⌘4" for 4 points that would be top.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Automatic establishment of minimum required height when one track over another.

During design process tracks can be placed over another. Software immediately establish a minimal distance between tracks and asks for slope definition which is allredy defined as function in the RailModeller.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 3D Cuts with metrics of my 3 dimensional plan

To realize a plan with multiple levels it will be very helpful to show and print cuts of my 3D plan to realize the wooden infrastructure for the rails

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Search for tracks by e.g. part number

Sometimes I find tracks on my partlist, which I want to exchange on my layout. But I don't see a possibility to easily find them and get them replaced.

It would be helpful to search for e.g. a certain part number and get these track highlighted on the layout. Maybe with the additional feature to search these certain tracks on the whole layout but also only on certain layers.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Change look of cursor

Change the cursor in paint brush when painting
    Change the cursor in dropper when picking a color
    Right ow you want to choose an element, but because you forgot to change the cursor you remove it, or paint it because you do not see in what mode you are.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ability to create modules and being able to plan modular railroad arrangements.

We have a lot already and need mainly a new supporting feature: Transfer (small) layouts to Railseteditor to create modules

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. height adjustments

Height adjustments are a pain in the ass. Start over. Make them intuitive. One adjustment to close gaps should not wipe out an entire grade or reset the height of an entire layer. Come on, you can do better than this, every other program does already.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Export as 3D file for using in SketchUp or similar apps

An export of the entire layout as a standard 3D file format would allow further editing in 3D apps, adding scenery, animate the layout, etc.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. coordinates for current pointer location

This would ideally take a couple of forms: first would be to have an (X,Y) display somewhere that would track the scaled coordinates of the mouse pointer, second would be to have cursors going along the rulers which would also track the mouse.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Feature Requests

Categories