Skip to content

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

• Tell us which features you want to see in RailModeller Pro so we can continue to provide you with the best possible design tool.

• Make your voice heard and vote on the features you want to see next

For any requests regarding parts and track libraries, kindly send an email directly to support@railmodeller.com

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

108 results found

1. Add track near edge of board automatically selects valid orientation

Bug when placing track near board edge. Express 6.2.6 1177, LGB track library

Steps to reproduce:

• lay track section near edge of layout (e.g. turnout pointing up near top edge)

• select track section that will fit in some orientations but not others (e.g. curved section)

Expected behaviour:

• default orientation will fit if possible, hitting space to cycle orientations won't select illegal placements

Actual behaviour:

• default orientation sometimes will not fit. Cannot place track section to 'space' through to working orientation

Alternative expected behaviour:

• allow illegal placement but indicate this by colour or some such. Don't allow additional tracks to be…
    1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. startup window size not always full screen

On startup / new file / open file, the window always seems to expand to the borders of the screen area. Most apps open to cover only a portion of the screen, and their documents remember their window location & size on close and re-open.

Suggestions:

• opening an existing document restores the previous window size & location

• option for new documents to occupy less than the entire visible area

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Elastic tracks

I would like to suggest a feature to help designing railroads: elastic tracks.

There would be three kinds of elastic tracks: straight and curved.

A straight elastic track would be connected to other tracks of the railroads, and when one of those tracks are moved, the length of the elastic track would adjust automatically.

A curved elastic track would have it’s curve radius specified (there could be one kind per curve radius available in the current library catalog), and when one of the connected tracks is moved, the angle of the elastic curved track would adjust automatically.

A straight elastic…

4 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. Smooth change of track angle

It is not possible to smoothly change the track gradient. With large inclination angles, it would be good idea to gradually increase or decrease the track angle in the initial (and final) section.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  5. SCARM Import/Export

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I exchange data regularly with people who are not using railmodeller. SCARM seems to be a frequently used package in the Windows world, so an import/export feature would facilitate exchanges.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  6. RailModeller Pro export to iRunTrains

RailModeller Pro export to iRunTrains or similar functionality

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Shortcut to insert track

For each catalog of elements,I would like to be able to assign key shortcuts to the elements I often use, so that when I type those keys, the corresponding element would be inserted at the position of the mouse pointer.

To assign a shortcut, I would select an element in the catalog pane, use the popup menu to select "Add a shortcut" and type the key (or key combination). If the key combination is already taken by another element in the same catalog, an option to remove it from the old element is given. If it's a key combination that…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Library of footprint and icon images for standard Lionel Accessories

It would be nice if you could select from a library images and footprints for items like Lionel #30 Water Tower, #456 Coal Ramp, or ramp for the #3472 Milk Car so we could design track plans that fit these accessories.

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In general we don’t include most of the accessories just due to the sheer amount of items available by the multitude of vendors out there..

A dedicated editor for user-created track libraries is currently in the works that’ll enable creating custom tracks and other objects.

9. When moving or placing any item on the base board display the distance from the closest baseboard edge.

Now we have to switch in and out if the ruler tool. Hard to count grid lines in 1/2" steps or less steps. Just take the ruler measurement from the left side and top and have it follow the item.

2 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Rolling Stock Inventory

macOS lacks a true model railroad rolling stock inventory program, and RailModeller would be a perfect fit, as it could piggyback off of the existing Track Stock database already built into the program. The existing database already keeps track of:
    Name
    Part Number
    Manufacturer
    Price

Rolling stock would just need some additional values to keep track of:
    -Photo
    -Stock type (Steam locomotive/Electric locomotive/diesel locomotive/Hi-Railer/passenger car/freight car/caboose/custom value)
    -Length
    -Height
    -Minimum radius curve support
    -Operating options (conventional/DCC/DCS/TMCC/Legacy/custom)
    -Year manufacturered
    -Year acquired
    -MSRP
    -Price paid
    -Custom notes
    -Custom weblink (ie more info, link to manufacturer site, etc)

It would be up to…

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Manage stock: Prices

it will useful to have the possibility to add the price of each element in the stock list
    Possibility to add/update the "stock list" with "show part list"

15 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Folder for Grouping Layers

The ability to create folder so you can easily organize or hide multiple layers with one click.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  13. A simple way of positioning tracks separated by a straight

I'm often trying to position a couple of points/turnouts, so that one junction will line up exactly with the other. In other words, when you insert flex track between those junctions, the track will be straight.

You could generalise this to arbitrary tracks, not just points/turnouts.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Omit variations of gap fillers

One of the most valuable features of RailModeler (in my opinion) is the gap filler. However, when it finds a solution, all the permutations of the tracks are also listed. I am only interested in seeing a single, unique line for each solution, since I can easily permute the tracks manually, should I have the desire.

The implementation requires only a few lines of code. (For each preliminary solution, form a set of the tracks. Keep only solutions, whose track sets are different. Sort the tracks according to their respective length.)

If others like the feature as it is now,…

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add curved flex-track to library to use the repeat function.

I use flex-track to specify curves that ain't available in the (Peco) library. An example is Curve Radius 30 cm and Arc Angle 45 degrees. If i design a 180 degrees curve i need to specify this curve 4 times or use copy paint all the time. I would like to see the possibility to add this curve to the library so the repeat function become available for this curved flex-track.

20 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  16. ability to create inventory of building

In North America kits by Walthers and Woodland Scenics are used to name two manufacturers. I can create shapes that represent the dimensions but I can't save them with a name and have them show up in the parts list. I would like to see this feature. Other Windows apps have this feature,

3 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. show scale units

I would like an option to show all distances in scale units, not real units. For example, if using HO scale parts, show 87 feet for each real foot. This would be helpful to judge how many cars will fit on a siding or how large a building is on the model. Thank you.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  18. Templates for benchwork

Include libraries for benchwork modules such as those from Sievers.

https://www.sieversbenchwork.com

and/or ability to create own library from 'shapes'.

1 vote
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

At this point it’s to specialized to add these items for all users of the app, however the upcoming Library Editor is specifically targeting the creation of any custom libraries you’d like to use for your personal planning!

19. A More Versatile Line Tool

The following is the gist of what I think would enhance the line tool. I used to use a program called Freehand which acted this way. I think Adobe Illustrator has a similar line tool but I don't use it. The reason for such a tool would be to easily and flexibly draw shaped lines particularly for roads, rivers, mountain lines, and textures.

This is how I would envision a line drawing tool:

a) select the line tool icon *
    b) place cursor on the spot where you want the line to begin
    c) holding mouse down drag across the…

15 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tabbing between entry fields and layout area

When I edit measurements or position values for a feature or a layout, and press Enter, the marker stays in the value field. If I then want to move the object via the arrow keys, I first have to take the mouse and click on the object before it can be moved. I would prefer that the marker should leave the value fields, so the object can be worked on directly as I press Enter.

5 votes
    vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

RailModeller Pro - Feature Requests

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base